Oct 26, 2009

suddenly I'm overcome

and suddenly it fills me,
thrills me,
bleeds my heart open, all revealed of a sudden;
tears spring to escape, push to dive
out of the corners of my eyes:
suddenly I'm overcome.

and now I have
images in my mind,
sounds ringing, ringing in my ears.
I've got the sweet saddest guitar of years ago
coming at me, in to my heart;
suddenly I'm overcome.

now I just want to cry,
throat burns, as it all bursts forth.
cry? why? I
don't know; don't know the tune
of the song singing in my soul, the melody that bursts, now,
bursts out, aching to be set free:
suddenly I'm overcome.

and now I ask myself,
as the crowding of the crusty outside noise
comes sliding back like mud,
over bare exposed cracks of
soul,
what I'm going to do,
what to do
with this song in my soul,
with these words, this tune, this pain;
I ask myself, but - stop thinking! - here come tears:
suddenly I'm overcome.

I don't know!
I don't know what it is, that's got my heart aching, bursting,
got my eyes streaming,
so full, so full of
... something...

suddenly,
I'm overcome.

---
Just a small note: this really happened. Helped to have some amazingly emotive and heart-tugging old folk music playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment